How Ironic

Just reading another memorial sent in. Someone who hadn't seen Dan since high school. Here's an interesting part:

But I wanted you to know that he’s the reason I didn’t drown when I was 15 years old and I will be forever grateful. The boys were fishing at Great Falls, VA and I was studying my vocabulary cards for the SAT on the rocks near the rapids where the kayakers practice. It was pretty hot and I wanted to sit on the edge of the rocks to put my feet in the water. I didn’t think that when I stood up, I would slip into the current, which I ended up doing. I was able to pull myself on to the nearest rock pretty quickly and everyone was yelling to me if I was ok. I learned to swim when I was 2 years old so I thought I could get out without any problems. When I tried to pull myself out of the water, the rock was so slippery, I fell in again and this time the current was so strong I was kicking as hard as I could to hold on to the rocks and not be swept away. And suddenly someone grabbed me and pulled me out. That someone was your dad. I honestly didn’t think he was that strong, but if I remember correctly, he was on the wrestling team in high school. I don’t know what would have happened if he wasn’t there. Every year many people don’t realize how strong the currents are at Great Falls and I could have become another statistic. So now you know your dad was a great man and even saved a life.

If only someone had been there for you as well Dan.